Sunday, April 10, 2016

Crisis Recovery

A man wrote to me who was just put in the hospital with an adrenal crisis. He was on a high stress dose of both hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone and was having trouble with water retention. This is my response.

My experience is that adrenal healing and stabilization requires a lot of time and patience. I had to just relax much of the time and try and get all the rest I could. Eating plenty of nutritious food without chemicals and drinking filtered water also helped. It still took me months to stabilize and not have all the ups and downs. It also took considerable time for my mineral levels (hydration) to become level (fludrocortisone helps to control). Even after 13 years of treatment, I always got heavier by a few pounds by evening and was several pounds less every morning. I think that replacing adrenal hormones with hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone keeps you going, but is no where near as smooth and level as normal functioning adrenal glands would be. You should be able to drop your dose soon. Your doctor can test your cortisone levels and help you determine when to start cutting. Remember that changes in cortisone medication must be done VERY slowly or you'll end up with another adrenal crisis -- an experience you don't want to repeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment