Tuesday, October 18, 2016

If my Thyroid is low, could I also have low Adrenal?

"I am a 75 year old female trying to understand my symptoms: I wake aching all over body, not feeling awake and unable to function physically or mentally until much later in the day. I do not feel "normal" until evening, and feel my best about 9 or 10 pm. I have gained 10 lbs in less than 4 months. I am not able to cope with stress as well as about 2 years ago. I feel extreme fatigue and an warm to hot when I wake up and don't cool down until much later in the day. I do have low thyroid and take Levothyroxin. Could I have adrenal issues?"
Since each part of the Endocrine system affects the other, it is possible that you might have lowered Adrenal Function if you have low thyroid function. In fact, it is likely. All my endocrine system functioned at a low level. When tested, I always had a bit low production of thyroid hormones, and I always had trouble with keeping my blood sugar balanced. Nothing was to the point where I needed medication, but low enough to make me have blood sugar ups and downs (pancreatic hormones), and make me feel more cold and tired (thyroid hormones). Also the adrenal glands, a long with most parts of us, don't work as well when we are older. Many of our commonly accepted aging symptoms are actually our bodies slowing down, especially our adrenal glands.

The very slow start in the mornings and getting more and more alert and "normal" by evening is a common symptom of low adrenal function, as is the inability to cope with stress (sometimes all I could do was stare or cry).  Low adrenal function can also affect your body temperature.

Both the thyroid glands and the adrenal glands affect body temperature, fatigue, joint and muscle aches, depression, and weight gain. Your thyroid medication might also affect your body temperature. Low thyroid (or any problem with your body not functioning well) will stress your adrenal glands.

You will want to discuss your problems with your doctor. He can test both your thyroid and your adrenal hormone levels.  It is possible that you may just be experiencing low thyroid, or you may also have some low adrenal symptoms, or you may need to have your thyroid medicine adjusted. Remember that as you get your thyroid in good control, your adrenal glands should also improve.




No comments:

Post a Comment