Wednesday, February 8, 2017

How do I avoid becoming a Diabetic if I take cortisone?

A woman asked how I avoided becoming diabetic when I took hydrocortisone. If you are taking the right dose of cortisone, they you should not gain much weight or become a diabetic. If you are gaining weight, have your adrenal production of cortisone checked (blood or saliva tests). If it is too high, then your doctor may advise you to cut back on your cortisone. Do not cut back without consulting a doctor, since quickly dropping your cortisone dose could cause you to go into shock and possible die.

Remember that there can be other reasons that you gain weight quickly such as low thyroid. Your doctor can test and see what is happening, then help you know what to do.

I monitored my hydrocortisone dose under my doctors direction. I used a blood sugar and a blood pressure monitor. When they began to steadily rise, getting a little higher each day and rising more as my hydrocortisone level increased during the day, I knew it was time to slowly cut my dose of hydrocortisone.

No comments:

Post a Comment